Elevate Tech Jam 2019 is a unique hackathon focused on solving real-world problems. The weekend will include informative workshops, great prizes and experiences to remember!
The Elevate Tech Jam is created by TD and co-created by Ceridian, Corus, Interac, Rogers, Future of Sport Lab (MLSE & Ryerson). Participants will be solving problems in the in Fintech for Good and Internet of Things (IOT). Think big, go for moonshot ideas, and be innovative- we are looking for the most disruptive ideas to change the future!
FinTech for Good
TD and Interac are dedicated to enabling Canadians to connect digitally and securely, both locally and globally. We support the small businesses who help power our economy, the start-ups and scale-ups bringing innovative solutions to market, the non-profits who are changing the communities around them, and the customers who keep us connected.
What innovative financial technologies or capabilities can we create to enable the communities around us?
Internet of Things (IoT) and Connected Living
Consumers are increasingly adopting new technologies and incorporating connected devices into their day to day lives. Rogers enables you to make more possible by providing integrated connected living solutions that are simple to use and attainable for every-day life.
How can new technologies provide solutions for the consumer experience (technical support, services, promotions etc.).
Friday September 20, 2019:
9:00- Registration and Badge Pickup Open
17:00- Event Doors Open for Cocktail Reception
17:30-19:30- Cocktail reception and Opening Presentation
Saturday September 21, 2019
7:00-22:00: Hacking Hours
10:00-11:00 - Design Thinking Workshop by TD
11:00-12:00 - Design Thinking Workshop by TD
13:30-14:15 - Future of Athletes Workshop by MLSE/FSL
14:30-15:15 - Getting your app to "talk" Workshop by Rogers
15:30-16:15 - The Hiring Process Workshop by Interac
Sunday September 22, 2019
7:00-12:00: Hacking Hours
12:00: Project Submission Time
12:30-16:30: Tier 1 Judging Process/Courtyard BBQ
16:30-18:30: Final Presentations (Tier 2) and Awards Ceremony
Full meals are catered at Elevate Tech Jam - thinking beyond pizzas and energy drinks to fuel the body and the mind!
Friday September 20: Opening Night
Passed hors-d'oeuvres provided by Daniel et Daniel
- Breakfast for Dinner "Bacon & Eggs" Potato Galette, Micro Arugula (GF)
- Butternut Squash Truffle Tart Savoury Shell, Brown Butter Solids (NF)
- Double Dipped Broccoli Smoked Tofu, Pistachio, Cashews (VE/GF)
- Seared Tuna Slider Nori Mini Bun, Seaweed Mayo, Scallion Relish (DF)
- Barbacoa Lamb, Queso Fresco Spring roll Lime Fluid Gel, Roast Tomato Jalapeno Sauce
Passed hors-d'oeuvres provided by The Food Dudes
- Vietnamese Roll, Vegetables, Cilantro, Avocado Purée, Crispy Vermicelli, Yuzu Ponzu Glaze
- Risotto Cake, Vibrant Red Beet, Herb Goat Cheese Mousse, Pickled Beet, Balsamic Glaze Vegetarian
- Sous Vide Beef Slider, Natural Reduction, Celeriac Remoulade, Pickles, Gruyere Onion Brioche
- Duck Confit Tostada, Chipotle Glaze, Green Mole, Smoked Sour Cream, Pickled Shallots & Jalapeño, Cilantro
- Pastrami Salmon, Everything Cream Cheese, Pickled Beet, Dill Pickle Potato Chip, Cider Glaze, Fresh Dill
Bar Service: Wine service; Beer provided by Northern Maverick
Saturday September 21:
Breakfast provided by Oliver & Bonacini
- Yoghurt Parfaits
- Mini Frittata Bites: Sliced potato/kale/confit tomato/grana Padano and Bacon/onion/aged cheddar
- Assorted Danishes, Cinnamon Rolls, Muffins
- Fruit Salad
Lunch provided by enVille
- Energy Boost Bowl - Oven-dried Cherry Tomatoes, Roasted Chickpeas, Peppery Arugula, Crumbled Goat Cheese, Thyme, Barley, Olive Oil
- Fresh Mediterranean Bowl - Tomatoes, Cucumber, Grated Carrots, Fresh Mint, Zaatar Herb Blend, Chickpeas, Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Fiesta Fresh Bowl - Tomato, Avocado, Radish, Corn, Black Beans, Lime Scented Brown Rice, Creamy Chipotle Lime Dressing
- Thai Quinoa Bowl - Steamed Quinoa, Carrots, Edamame, Scallions, Cilantro, Chopped Peanuts, Coconut Chili Lime Dressing
- Ancient Grains Buddha Bowl - Grains, Tofu, Sweet Potatoes, Miso Dressing, Cilantro Pesto, Chard, Grilled Onions
- Sweet Potato Bowl - Sweet Potato, Turmeric, Boiled Egg, Quinoa, Kale, Wilted Arugula, Spiced Nuts, Lemon Herb Dressing
- Korean Noodle Bowl - Gochujang Hot & Sour Dressing, Bean Sprouts, Napa, Green Onion, Red Pepper, Carrots, Snow Peas
- Keto Bowl - Baby Kale, Crispy Broccoli & Cauliflower, Grilled Zucchini, Spiced Crunchy chickpeas, Peppers, Yogurt Lemon Dill Dressing
Dinner provided by McEwan Group
- Braised Beef ravioli (Veg option available at this station): Mint and celeriac purée, eggplant gremolata and natural reduction
- Salmon or tuna poke bowl: Sushi rice, edamame, cucumber, ginger, ponzu, sesame and bonito flakes
- Desert: Petit fours
Dinner provided by Eatertainment Special Events and Catering
- Mac & Cheese with bacon, jalapenos, pepper ketchup, green onions (Vegetarian option available)
- BBQ Pulled chicken sliders with cajun kettle chips & house made slaw
- Desert: TBC
Sunday September 22:
Breakfast provided by Oliver & Bonacini
- Hard-Boiled Egg, Spinach & Hummus, Whole Wheat Wrap
- Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
- Breakfast Breads
- Fruit Salad
BBQ lunch provided by Marigolds and Onions
- Marigolds and Onions homemade 100% Beef Burgers - Served on an Onion Egg Bun
- Gourmet All Beef Hot Dogs - Served on a Poppy Seed Bun
- Marigolds and Onions homemade 100% Vegetarian Burgers
- Condiments: Deli Mustard, Ketchup, Relish, Mayonnaise, Sliced Onions, Diced Lettuce & Pickles
- Athenian Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Mini Red Potato "Salat"
- Desert: Sweet Slice and Mini Cakes
All day snacks and soft drinks provided on the Saturday and Sunday in the Linkway courtesy of Mr Case
$15,600 in prizes
TD and Interac Challenge Gold Prize
$3000 Cash Prize, meetings with Executives at TD and Interac, and 6 tickets to the Raptors Game on December 1st, 2019.
Rogers Challenge Gold Prize
$3000 Cash Prize and Dinner with Lisa Durocher (Rogers Chief Digital Officer).
TD and Interac Challenge Silver Prize
$2000 Cash Prize
Rogers Challenge Silver Prize
$2000 Cash Prize and a meet & greet cocktail hour and pitch session with Rogers Digital VPs.
TD and Interac Challenge Bronze Prize
$1000 Cash Prize
Rogers Challenge Bronze Prize
$1000 Cash Prize and a ticket for each team member to a 2019-20 regular season Toronto Maple Leafs game at Scotiabank Arena from a gondola box - food & non-alcoholic beverages included.
Anyone that has signed up for the event through our website (elevate.ca/tech-jam), has received an invitation email from Elevate, and has a team confirmed for judging can submit a hack and be eligible for prizes at the event. The 2019 Elevate Tech Jam accepts people from all backgrounds, regardless of age, citizenship, race, etc. Only teams with six or less members will be allowed to submit, teams with more than six members will not be allowed to submit.
All relevant code must be submitted for the project, as well as a short description of the project. Teams should also submit a link to the Github used, slide deck for presenting, and project title. Code will be reviewed for potential plagiarism, originality, and technacility for judging purposes, so please ensure that all the code is original!
A standard form for all submissions will be provided to participants.
Each team will be asked to present their submissions in 3 minute brief to our judges during a science-fair style judging process and final contestants will be given the option to present in front of their peers and the final judging panel.
Judges to be announced.
VP, Head of Digital Operations, Governance & Control, Executive Director, TD
VP, Head of Machine Learning, Enterprise Data & Analytics, TD
VP, Digital Channel, TD
VP, Technology Architecture, TD
VP, Global Contact Centre, Fraud, ATM, and Canadian Customer Assistance Technology Solutions, TD
VP, Digital Performance, TD
Associate VP, TD Bank Group
VP, Payments, TD
Associate VP, Omni Capabilities and Delivery, TD
Associate VP, Digital Sales and Capabilities, TD
Sr. Director, Strategy, MLSE
Director, Products & Platform Development, Interac
Director, Innovation and Community Partnerships, Interac
Director, Innovation, Research & Emerging Solutions, Interac
Full Stack Developer, Interac
Director, Omni-Channel, Rogers
Scrum Lead, Video Product Delivery, Rogers
Director, Digital Adoption, Rogers
EVP, Chief Digital and Payments Officer, TD
Chief Commercial Officer, Interac
SVP Strategic Initiatives, Ceridian
Director, Digital Product Development, Rogers
Executive Director, DMG Toronto
How original is your project? Have similar ideas been created before?
How innovative is your project? Is it creating something completely new or is it improving on something that already exists? Can your project become a disruptive technology?
Is the project viable as a business? Can this be turned into a product or a startup?
How technically advanced is the project? Is this at a beginner level or is it very challenging to create?
- Social Good